For courses in Reading Methods (Supplementary) (Reading & Literacy) / Phonological Awareness and Phonics (Reading & Literacy). In keeping with the authors’ belief that the hands-on word sorting approach to word study is invaluable to teachers and students alike, this volume presents 59 prepared sorts covering the complete curriculum of word study for learners in the within word pattern stage of spelling development. Complete with blackline masters, specific teacher directions, suggestions for follow-up activities, and spellchecks for ongoing assessment, the word sort lessons in this book help teachers to encourage students to think about words and reach conclusions about how the spelling system works.
Words Their Way is a teacher-directed, student-centered approach to vocabulary growth and spelling development where students from early years to junior secondary school engage in a variety of sound, pattern and meaning activities, sorting pictures and words. Words Their Way enables teachers to assess, clearly identify and document each student’s spelling stage, group students with common needs and tailor activities to improve students’ spelling knowledge.
The most popular of the Words Their Way books are listed below. To order these, please use the ‘Choose an option’ dropdown menu above.
- Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Letter and Picture Sorts for Emergent Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Letter Name-Alphabetic Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Within Word Pattern Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Syllables and Affixes Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Derivational Relations Spellers (Global Edition)