In keeping with the authors’ belief that the hands-on, word sorting approach to word study is invaluable to teachers and students alike, this volume presents prepared sorts and activities covering the full curriculum of word study for students who are in the emergent stage of spelling development. Complete with 26 sorts, and dozens of other activities and assessments, this book provides all of the resources needed to teach phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, initial letter sounds, concepts about print, and concept of word in text. Together, the Words Their Way core text and this supplement provide teachers with the knowledge and tools to meet the wide range of needs in today’s classrooms.
Words Their Way is a teacher-directed, student-cantered approach to vocabulary growth and spelling development where students from early years to junior secondary school engage in a variety of sound, pattern and meaning activities, sorting pictures and words. Words Their Way enables teachers to assess, clearly identify and document each student’s spelling stage, group students with common needs and tailor activities to improve students’ spelling knowledge.
The most popular of the Words Their Way books are listed below. To order these, please use the ‘Choose an option’ dropdown menu above.
- Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Letter and Picture Sorts for Emergent Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Letter Name-Alphabetic Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Within Word Pattern Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Syllables and Affixes Spellers (Global Edition)
- Words Their Way: Word Sorts for Derivational Relations Spellers (Global Edition)