14 pairs of smooth and tactile beech plywood square tiles, each colour printed on one side with beautiful clear photographic images of real fruit and vegetables. The chunky tiles are easy for small hands to grip, rotate and turn over.
This versatile set provides endless opportunities for exploring the colourful world of fruit and vegetables and can be used in a number of ways:
1. As a matching game – turn all the tiles face up and match the whole fruit / vegetable with its corresponding slice image.
2. As a memory game – turn all the tiles face down and try to remember where the matching fruit or vegetable pairs are located.
3. For sorting into food groups – by colour, variety (fruit or vegetable), seeds / no seeds, texture, sweet/sour/savoury flavour or grouped in fruit or vegetable size order.
Ideal for promoting discussions about healthy eating, how fruit and vegetables are grown and which climate they are best grown in, which are favourites and which ones haven’t been tried yet. Children will enjoy playing whilst developing several aspects of learning, including descriptive language, mathematical language, collaborative play, fine motor skills, imaginative play and understanding the world. Includes colour identification guide in 7 languages – click here to view.
Supports the following areas of learning:
• Personal Development – collaborative play
• Physical Development – motor skills
• Communication & Language – descriptive language
• Communication & Language – reasoning
• Understanding the World – the world
• Maths – sorting
2019 Nursery World Awards
(Bronze – Understanding the World category)
What the NW Award testers said:
Testers commented that they were versatile and could be used with different age groups.
Two-year-olds pointed out their favourite fruits and vegetables but were not able to match the cut version to the whole version of the fruit.
Children aged 30 months and over understood that when fruits are cut they look different. Other testers commented on how children enjoyed arranging and sorting them, using them for memory or matching games, and for learning about the colourful world of healthy eating.
2019 Teach Early Years Awards
(3* Winner – Happy & healthy category)
What the TEY Award testers said:
This game features great tactile pieces and provides lots of other learning opportunities.
Size: 70 x 70 x 10mm. Pk28.
Age: Suitable from 12 months.