Essential Sight Vocabulary – Three-book Series by Peter Clutterbuck
Each day students learn new words as part of their classroom programme, recognise words from their increasing vocabulary, or encounter words that will help them read fluently.
This three-book series supports these processes by providing high-interest activities with instructions that can be followed quickly and easily. Students are engaged in the process of seeing, discussing, defining, understanding and using words in spoken or written language.
As a series of three books, Essential Sight Vocabulary can accompany students’ learning at a level and pace appropriate to the individual. Each book is divided into three learning levels with a further section providing revision and consolidation activities. Teachers are able to record and comment on student progress.
Essential Sight Vocabulary can be used:
- By classroom teachers of primary grades who wish to enrich the vocabulary skills of their students in everyday class work or homework assignments
- As a remedial tool for students experiencing difficulties in written and spoken language
- As a resource for students learning English as a second language
For students to develop an adequate working vocabulary to cope with the demands of modern communication, the skills of word analysis, synthesis, control, usage and meanings are necessary. It has been claimed that there are a number of essential elements needed for basic sight-word instruction. Among these can be included: seeing, discussing, defining, understanding and then using the word in spoken or written language.
The term sight vocabulary as used in this series of books has three clearly distinct meanings:
- The many new words students are taught or exposed to daily as part of their normal classroom programme
- The ever-growing field of words which students recognise immediately and know when they encounter them in their written or spoken context, or when treated in isolation as independent units of communication
- The small but ultimately important words which occur in written material. These words are the building blocks essential to fluent reading.
Words have been carefully selected and encompass a broad range of vocabulary elements which will enhance both the spelling and word study programme of the classroom. The directions are brief and students quickly understand what is required.
[Author: Peter M. Clutterbuck]
[Age Suitability: 7-11+]
[Extent: 3 x A4 Photocopiable Books – approx. 60 Pages per Book]
Essential Sight Vocabulary Book A: The Basic Words
Essential Sight Vocabulary Book B: Everyday Words
Essential Sight Vocabulary Book C: Words for Reading Competency
Essential Sight Vocabulary Set (Books A, B and C) – Save €5.00