There are two books in this appealing series:
- Word Aware – Book 1: Teaching Vocabulary across the Day, across the Curriculum (age suitability: 5-11+)
- Word Aware – Book 2: Teaching Vocabulary in the Early Years (age suitability: 3-5+)
- Word Aware – Book 3: Teaching Vocabulary in Small Groups for Ages 6 to 11
Book 1: Teaching Vocabulary across the Day, across the Curriculum (age suitability: 5-11+) – Second Edition – Sep 2021
Now in a fully updated second edition, this comprehensive and practical book outlines the theoretical underpinnings for vocabulary and acts as a ‘how to’ guide to developing word learning across the school and curriculum. It is packed with easy-to-implement activities, worksheets and resources that can be put into practice immediately with individual students or groups, whole classes and throughout the school.
The Word Aware approach provides a structured framework to promote vocabulary development in all children and has been rigorously tried and tested. Now in full colour, with photocopiable and downloadable materials, it is an outstanding resource that will be an essential addition to any school and classroom.
The second edition of Word Aware 1 brings:
- An even wider range of ready-to-go vocabulary activities
- Fine-tuned teaching techniques
- Enhanced resources to develop children’s independent word-learning skills
- A step-by-step guide to developing a whole-school approach
Word Aware 1 is an invaluable tool for teachers and other professionals looking to support children as they broaden their vocabulary. It is particularly suited to children aged 5–11 years but can easily be adapted for older children.
Book 2: Teaching Vocabulary in the Early Years (age suitability: 3-5+)
This is a highly practical, comprehensive resource designed to support Early Years practitioners in the provision of effective vocabulary development in preschool children of all abilities. It is based on the same theory as the ‘Word Aware – Book 1 above but has adapted for Early Years.
This rigorously tried-and-tested approach is an outstanding resource that will be an essential addition to any early years’ setting or preschool classroom. It is also an important addition to the materials used by speech and language therapists. It is particularly suitable for ages 3 to 5+
Book 3: Teaching Vocabulary in Small Groups for Ages 6 to 11
Book 3 is a comprehensive, practical and engaging resource that focuses on teaching vocabulary and word learning skills to children aged 6 to 11 years who have vocabulary learning needs.
For many children, particularly those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) or those whose home language isn’t English (ELL or EAL learners), the vocabulary of the classroom can be a barrier to learning. This book outlines how to best support these children who require extra help, offering concrete, easy-to-implement activities and resources for use in small groups, to maximise the impact on learning and open up access to the curriculum.
- Takes a highly practical, evidence-based and curriculum-focused approach to vocabulary learning that supports a broad range of learners
- Includes photocopiable and downloadable planning, intervention and evaluation resources
- Provides staff training resources and an overview video presented by the authors
This book can be used as an adjunct to Word Aware 1, or as an intervention on its own. Although it is most suited to children aged 6 to 11 years, it may be adapted for older students with significant learning needs. It is an essential resource for teaching assistants and learning support assistants and will also save time for special educational needs co-ordinators (SENCOs) and speech and language therapists (SaLTs) who are keen to establish effective vocabulary interventions.