Bring STEM to life in the classroom with this fun teacher-friendly kit! Facilitate learning and engagement as students use bio-mimicry to design Jazmin a hiking boot that will stop her from slipping.
In these project-based lessons Jazmin loves hiking but her boots always slip! With the help of her friend Ivy students use inspiration from nature, model building, and the practical skills of planning and conducting investigation to solve this problem. Students develop an understanding of friction, shape, and material properties as they use the engineering process to design a hiking boot with stronger grip.
- Provides 180 minutes of STEM instruction over six 30 minute lessons
- Includes a lesson-by-lesson teacher guide, student activity books, homework tasks, and assessment tools, as well as the materials needed to undertake each activity
- Involves students in the exciting world of practical STEM investigation through hands-on testing
- Facilitates the use of quantitative data to make comparisons and claims supported by evidence
- Develops mathematic and scientific understanding
- Applies the engineering design process to solve real-world problems
- Encourages collaboration, joint problem-solving, and teamwork through small group activity. As well as independent thinking and learning through individual tasks
- Ages 7-9