Engage students in STEM with this exciting, hands-on classroom kit. Students love to learn as they design and build a covering that will allow Sam to play in his sandpit come rain or shine! In these project-based lessons, Sam loves to play in the sand but the sun makes it too hot and the rain makes it too wet! Students explore the science concepts of sunlight, shadow, and permeability as they help his sister Sophie to solve this problem. Using hands-on investigation, students learn about material properties, shapes, and construction as they engineer a sandpit covering that will block sunlight and water.
- Provides 100 – 150 minutes of STEM instruction over five 20- 30 minute lessons
- Includes a lesson-by-lesson teacher guide, step-by-step student activities, homework tasks, and assessment tools, as well as the materials needed to undertake each activity
- Involves students in the exciting world of practical STEM investigation through visual, hands-on experiments
- Develops core mathematical skills in counting, reading, writing, and representing number
- Introduces the use of engineering steps to solve real-world problems
- Ages 5-7