- Stop and Think Learning offers teachers a step-by-step method called STOP THINK DO to motivate children to learn in the classroom. The highly successful method shows children what they can change and then how they can plan what to do to change. Motivation is the key: here is a set of strategies that actively involve the children in a commitment to learn in the busy classroom.
- The book also describes the STOP THINK DO method for training social skills and improving relationships in the classroom since a supportive social environment also motivates children to learn through peer support. In a most readable style, the book addresses the challenge of how to motivate all children in the classroom, each with their different histories, different styles and different problems to overcome. A special feature of the book is the programmes catering for particular needs such as:
- The child with specific learning difficulties
- The very bright underachiever
- The child with poor concentration
- The average child with subject weaknesses
- The slow learning child
- The child with a ‘difficult’ personality
Author, Lindy Petersen, whose books on social skills training for children and behaviour management for parents and teachers have been well received, now offers this new book. Complete with a set of photocopy masters, Stop and Think Learning is an invaluable tool for every classroom teacher.
About the Author:
Lindy Petersen is a clinical psychologist with thirty years’ experience working with children, adolescents, parents and teachers in clinical and school settings. She is based in Adelaide, South Australia. Allyson Adderley has considerable experience as a classroom teacher of young children through to adolescents and as an educational consultant involved in the implementation of STOP THINK DO in Australian schools.
The full list of STOP THINK DO resources is as follows:
- Stop Think Do: Social Skills Training Manual for Early Years of Schooling (4 – 8 Years)
- Stop Think Do: Social Skills Training Manual for Primary Years of Schooling (8 – 12 Years)
- Stop Think Do: Social Skills Training Manual: Supplement for Middle Years of Schooling (12 – 15 Years)
- STOP and THINK Learning
- STOP and THINK Friendship DVD Package (including Workbook)
- STOP THINK DO Posters (Set of 3)
- Social Savvy (Parents’ book)