Increase interest in STEM from an early age with this fun comprehensive classroom kit! Engage students in an exciting real-world design challenge as they use practical science and maths to engineer Silly-Straws display-stands for stalls around the city.
Students are introduced to the concept of problem solving through design, prototyping, and evaluation. They develop understanding of material properties and extend skills in model building and conducting practical tests, as well as making claims supported by evidence and using and communicating technical information.
- Provides 2 hours of STEM instruction over four 30 minute lessons
- Includes a teacher guide, student activity books, homework tasks, and assessment tools, as well as the materials needed to undertake each activity
- Meets a host of attainment targets in Science, Design & Technology and Maths
- Facilitates use of the engineering design process to solve real-world problems
- Encourages joint problem-solving and team work through small group activities. As well as independent thinking and learning through individual tasks
- Prepares students for secondary education
- Brings confidence to your STEM teaching and reduces preparation time with pre-planned lessons
In these interactive project-based lessons, Frothy Fruit Company sells fruit drinks from travelling stalls. They want to sell curly Silly Straws for the drinks but there is limited space! Students work together as a team to solve this problem and create a point-of-sale display stand that meets Frothy Fruit’s criteria and constraints.
Designed for Ages 9-12