Power of 2 (Power of Two) by David J. Sharp enables anyone to make progress with their maths as the book is a coaching manual which allows anyone to deliver individual support.
What is the Power of 2 book?
Power of 2 enables anyone to make progress with their maths as the book is a coaching manual which allows anyone to deliver individual support. It teaches pupils to access a full maths curriculum. Power of 2 is essentially about putting in place the building blocks of number and developing skills with mental calculations.
- Access to full maths curriculum
- Building Blocks of number
- Development of mental calculation skills
Does it work?
It most certainly does. 80% of sales are repeat orders from schools who have ordered from and used the manual before. The Power of 2 has been, and continues to be, an outstanding success for all its users, producing real improvement from day one of use.
- Over 20,000 copies have been sold
- Awareness created through word of mouth advertising.
- Huge success of the Power of 2 is due to the immense sense of achievement that a person gets when working through the book.
Who is it suitable for?
Power of 2 is ideal for anyone who benefits from repeated maths practice as all our books are designed to appeal to all age ranges being used from infants, right up to adult basic skill and prisons. Dyslexic students benefit from the clear language and repetition, and those with dyscalculia benefit from the highly structured approach with clear explanations.
- Age range – infants to basic adult numeracy
- Special needs – Dyslexia, Dyscalculia
What topics does the book cover?
Power of 2 begins with teaching number bonds to 10 and then moves on to introducing doubling, halving, addition and subtraction, rounding numbers, multiplying and dividing. It then introduces fractions and looks at worded problems and time. It covers all the aspects of mental maths.
- Doubling, halving
- Addition and subtraction
- Rounding, multiplying, dividing
- Fractions and worded problems
- Mental maths
How is the book used?
Full instructions and example pages are included in each book, but essentially Power of 2 requires that each question is answered correctly on three consecutive occasions on different days. When a question is answered correctly a tick should be placed on the line, a question answered incorrectly is marked with a dot. On each page of the book there is space for working out solutions, but students should be encouraged to carry out the calculations in this book without using pen and paper. It is not intended that certain pages should be used in isolation. Power of 2 has been found to work best when it is used 4 or 5 times a week, with each session lasting for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repetition through each question is being answered correctly on three different occasions
- Questions to be answered on different days
- Achievements through tangible success
- Students encouraged to do calculations mentally
Is there a best way to use the book?
Effectively no; the book is designed to deal with real life situations. There are lots of different ways the book is used. Here are a few:
- Parents work through the books with their child at home
- Schools have used the books as part of buddy-schemes or peer-coaching projects
- The books are used at school and delivered by teaching assistants or volunteers.
- Prep schools use our books to boost learning for all their pupils.
- … And, of course, combinations of the above.
[CODE: POT-1205; 163 pages]
[Author: David J. Sharp]
[Age Suitability: All]