Multi-sensory, Phonetic, Sequential and success-orientated programme to help improve child and adult literacy skills in reading, writing and spelling.
The programme consists of 7 books, a set of flash cards and a DVD.
The benefits of the programme are:
- Highly structured multisensory phonic approach
- Pupils are using all the senses or learning pathways to the brain. Pupils who have poor visual memory can use auditory or tactile skills. It is therefore compensatory as it caters for all learning styles. The ear might remember what the eye and hand has forgotten.
- Repetition will suit pupils who are slow to learn and quick to forget.
- It is linguistic as words and sentences carry meaning. The language is simple to suit pupils with a restricted code of language.
- Can be used with all ages in Primary school, Secondary school and in Adult Literacy.
- Can be used with individuals, small groups or whole class settings.
- It is systematic as materials are organised and taught in a way that is logical and fits the nature of our language.
- It is sequential as the child moves, step by step, in order from simple well learned material to that which is more complex as the pupil masters the necessary language skills.
- It is cumulative as each step of the way is based on those already learned. As Marie Clay said “Today’s teaching must echo yesterday’s learning”.
- It is cognitive as the pupils with a poor memory can think their way through the language problems and is helped to understand the reasons for what he is learning.
- It is emotionally sound as the pupil gains confidence quickly as he masters each phonic unit taught.
- Teachers can dip in and out of different books to suit their pupils.
Book 1 can be used in Primary schools with Infants to sixth class depending on the pupils reading skills. It can be used in Secondary school to support pupils with reading difficulties. It can also be used for Adult Literacy. Books 1 to 7 can be used with all pupils depending on age and their reading level.
About the author:
Anne Newell has 40 years teaching experience mainly in the area of Literacy, Language and Learning difficulties. Anne is well known as she has given workshop to teachers all over Ireland. It took Anne over 20 years to develop this programme. There are numerous testimonials in praise of Anne’s Programme and her great love for the teaching of reading.
Books in this Series:
- Newell Literacy Programme – Book 1
- Newell Literacy Programme – Book 2
- Newell Literacy Programme – Book 3
- Newell Literacy Programme – Book 4
- Newell Literacy Programme – Book 5
- Newell Literacy Programme – Book 6
- Newell Literacy Programme – Book 7
- Newell Literacy Programme – DVD
- Newell Literacy Programme – Flash Cards
- Newell Literacy Programme – Complete Set