Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers develops your understanding of mathematical concepts and processes, and how children learn them, so you can confidently teach mathematics to primary children. Tried and tested, the fifth edition of Derek Haylock’s much loved textbook matches the 2014 curriculum requirements for England. Every chapter integrates children’s learning, classroom practice, and teacher’s own requirements for subject knowledge, making this the ideal text to guide you through your studies and beyond.
The new edition is supported by FREE access to an interactive eBook and a companion website allowing you to use a wealth of teaching and learning resources. Visit study.sagepub.com/haylock5eto access:
- Videos by the author introduce core themes of each section and explain key mathematical processes.
- Links to the National Curriculum specify the statutory requirements for primary schools in England that relate to the mathematical content of each chapter.
- Learning and Teaching points highlight important issues you may face in the classroom and provide practical guidance for teaching.
- Self-assessment questions help check your understanding and provide immediate feedback to see how well you have done.
- Select SAGE journal articles to support literature reviews and wider reading.
- Lesson Plan Activities by Ralph Manning support content-focused chapters and contain creative mathematics tasks across the primary age range.
A Student Workbook is also available to accompany this book, including over 700 practice problems to help you understand, apply and teach primary mathematics.
Derek Haylock is an education consultant and writer with a background in mathematics teaching, teacher education and classroom-based research in mathematics education.
Ralph Manning is an independent consultant in primary education. He has worked as a primary teacher and as a lecturer in primary teacher education for 18 years, following a career in IT.
- Paperback: 504 pages
- Publisher: SAGE Publications Ltd; Fifth Edition edition (07 Sept 2018)
USE ME WITH…
Student Workbook Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers 6th Edition 9781526424686