Hope Statistics and Chance – Year 4
Problem Solving Strategies and Skills Maths Cards
Embed Mathematical Problem-Solving and Reasoning.
The Problem-Solving Strategies and Skills Maths Cards provide a wide variety of motivating and high-interest problem-solving activities.
There are three boxes for each year level, Year 1 to Year 6, comprising:
• 30 Number and Algebra cards, plus answers
• 30 Measurement and Geometry cards, plus answers
• 30 Statistics and Chance cards, plus answers
Each box also includes a problem-solving process card, and a problem-solving strategies card, to guide and provide support to children as they progress through each stage and box set.
The front of each card has a mathematics word problem for pupils to solve and the reverse of each card has an extension activity for more able pupils. The problems involve one or several steps, require the use of a variety of strategies and skills and are supported by colourful artwork.
The features of the Problem-Solving boxes include:
• Excellent resources to support problem-solving, an essential component of the maths curriculum;
• Varied, real-life and challenging problems;
• Activities that enable pupils to practise maths concepts taught in class through problems.
The Problem-solving cards also provide lots of opportunities for reflective teaching and focus on pupil thinking in problem-solving.
Year 4 Statistics and Chance
• The introduction of additional visual interpretations of data through the inclusion of line graphs and tally marks is utilised to develop skills in the interpretation of data presented to the pupil.
• The pupil is encouraged to assess chance and statistical outcomes through their interpretation of scenarios and likely or probable outcomes.
• Real life situations remain a feature, linking the application and use of information to how these can be applied in life, work or business situations.