Hope Measurement and Geometry – Year 6
Problem Solving Strategies and Skills Maths Cards
Embed Mathematical Problem-Solving and Reasoning.
The Problem-Solving Strategies and Skills Maths Cards provide a wide variety of motivating and high-interest problem-solving activities.
There are three boxes for each year level, Year 1 to Year 6, comprising:
• 30 Number and Algebra cards, plus answers
• 30 Measurement and Geometry cards, plus answers
• 30 Statistics and Chance cards, plus answers
Each box also includes a problem-solving process card, and a problem-solving strategies card, to guide and provide support to children as they progress through each stage and box set.
The front of each card has a mathematics word problem for pupils to solve and the reverse of each card has an extension activity for more able pupils. The problems involve one or several steps, require the use of a variety of strategies and skills and are supported by colourful artwork.
The features of the Problem-Solving boxes include:
• Excellent resources to support problem-solving, an essential component of the maths curriculum;
• Varied, real-life and challenging problems;
• Activities that enable pupils to practise maths concepts taught in class through problems.
The Problem-solving cards also provide lots of opportunities for reflective teaching and focus on pupil thinking in problem-solving.
Year 6 Measurement and Geometry
• Further development of the language and use of measurement and geometry gives rise to more complex and involved scenarios and problems.
• The need to interpret data and translate into outcomes using a variety of measurement techniques and formats is utilised; Co-ordinates are introduced to further extend the learning outcomes.
• The use of capacity and volume are further expanded, as well as the use of timetables and shapes to challenge a variety of interpretations of the use of measurement and its application in real life situations.
• An important feature of the more involved scenarios at this level, is the need for the pupil to closely read and re-read the full narrative in order to ensure all the data is taken into consideration to derive outcomes and present a solution.