Hope Number and Algebra – Year 2
Problem Solving Strategies and Skills Maths Cards
Embed Mathematical Problem-Solving and Reasoning.
The Problem-Solving Strategies and Skills Maths Cards provide a wide variety of motivating and high-interest problem-solving activities.
There are three boxes for each year level, Year 1 to Year 6, comprising:
• 30 Number and Algebra cards, plus answers
• 30 Measurement and Geometry cards, plus answers
• 30 Statistics and Chance cards, plus answers
Each box also includes a problem-solving process card, and a problem-solving strategies card, to guide and provide support to children as they progress through each stage and box set.
The front of each card has a mathematics word problem for pupils to solve and the reverse of each card has an extension activity for more able pupils. The problems involve one or several steps, require the use of a variety of strategies and skills and are supported by colourful artwork.
The features of the Problem-Solving boxes include:
• Excellent resources to support problem-solving, an essential component of the maths curriculum;
• Varied, real-life and challenging problems;
• Activities that enable pupils to practise maths concepts taught in class through problems.
The Problem-solving cards also provide lots of opportunities for reflective teaching and focus on pupil thinking in problem-solving.
Year 2 Number and Algebra
• Developing and building upon the Year 1 illustrations and scenarios, more complex situations and narratives are introduced to the pupil.
• More algebraic language and related mathematical symbols are incorporated in order to commence the translation into a more formal setting and interpretation for the pupil
• Illustrations are utilised to encourage the pupil how to approach and process a problem and then apply their mathematical skills to develop their solution.
• Pupils will continue to explore the many different views of functions, and they will learn how systems of equations can be a useful tool for drawing conclusions and justifying choices.