Here’s a wonderful way to extend the study of other cultures — 29 art projects based on folk art techniques and styles from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, and Europe.
* Africa — clay beads from Kenya, hammered metalwork from Nigeria, do mask from western Africa
* The Americas — beaded bowl from Mexico, mask from Peru, raised line scupture from Colombia
* Asia — palm leaf fans from China, wayang shadow puppets from Indosia, torans from India, mizuhiki from Japan
* Australia — aboriginal bark pictures, thunderbolt from New Zealand
* Europe – Fleur-de-lis Bowl from France, Scrimshaw from England, a Crois Bride from Ireland, mosaics from Greece
Lesson format includes:cultural background and an illustration of the folk art form, literature references that tie to the culture or particular project, materials list, illustrated step-by-step directions for completing a project based on the authentic folk art, and reproducible patterns as needed.
A complete list of countries represented:
* Africa – Egypt, Kenya, Nigeria
* The Americas – Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru
* Asia – Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, New Zealand
* Europe – Belarus, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Poland, Portugal
Reproducible patterns and illustrations throughout. All 80 pages perforated for easy removal.